16 Mar TME® Helps Seamless Ballistic Helmet Manufacturer Meet Quality and Traceability Standards
A leading manufacturer of high ballistics helmets uses advanced molding technologies and composite materials to produce a superior helmet. This helmet, known as the Seamless Ballistic Helmet (SBH) is designed to protect against fragments, small arms, and rifle bullets. Because of its unique nature and chemistry of the materials used, the helmet can withstand extreme environmental conditions.
The high ballistics helmet manufacturing company was expected to deliver cutting-edge technology with zero defect quality and complete traceability. To do this, the company needed a sophisticated work-in-process (WIP) system that would meet extreme production demands. These demands include:
- Real-time tracking of composite materials at every station
- Enforcing time control limits on time-sensitive raw materials
- Automated data collection of all test measurements
- Traceability & genealogy of all materials and production processes
The company contacted MASS Group for help with meeting these demands. MASS Group developed a comprehensive traceability solution by integrating TME® Manufacturing Execution Solutions (MES) Software with barcode technology.
The company’s production line consists of automated PLC’s (Programmable Logic Controller) located at each processing step (e.g. cutting, kitting, forming, molding, bonding, trimming, painting and final assembly). At every step, TME® generates a barcode and the PLC’s capture all test data such as weight, pressure, expiration, time out of freezer, operator certification etc. All recorded data is funneled to the OPC and TME® Client.
TME® then verifies that:
- Data (e.g. weight, pressure, time) is within tolerance
- Product has not skipped any steps
- Raw materials have not expired
- Operator is certified
If all requirements have been met, TME® approves the product to move onto the next processing step. If the product is out of tolerance, TME® will place a hold to prevent the product from moving on. TME® also sends an error alert to the operator.
By leveraging barcode technology, TME® automates data collection and accurately captures a complete genealogy of each specific helmet down to the raw material level. This digital audit trail ensures easy, rapid compliance to federal requirements mandating total traceability. TME®’s built-in error-proofing mechanisms ensure low rejection rates, high product integrity, and quality control. By providing critical real-time visibility into raw materials, work-in-process, test data, labor and resources, TME® enables the company to reduce waste, increase efficiency and cost savings.
- Easy, fast accessibility to complete genealogy of helmet
- Low rejection rates, errors
- Decrease in waste, scrap materials
- Exceptional product quality
- Increase in operational deficiency
- Compliance with federal mandate for full traceability